Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Bloody Bill!": Day 31, Lent 2012

Whoa. Does anyone else ever feel like they're watching a Quentin Tarantino film when reading Exodus? I sure do. Here's a clip from this morning's reading:

"Take your staff and stretch out your hand over the waters of Egypt –– over the streams and canals, over the ponds and all the reservoirs –– and they will turn to blood. Blood will be everywhere in Egypt, even in the wooden buckets and stone jars. . . .  The fish in the Nile died, and the river smelled so bad that the Egyptians could not drink its water. Blood was everywhere in Egypt." (Exodus 6:19; 21)

Blood was everywhere in Egypt. This is worthy of a 'Kill Bill' action scene if I've ever seen one (and I have --- all three instalments in the chapel of a small Bible camp of all places! :D). So was blood literally everywhere? Maybe "blood" is supposed to stand in for "death" to make the narrative more evocative. Hm. I wonder . . .

I figure reading the Bible literally and reading it literarily is all about exploring those spaces where heaven meets earth, where imagination expands our reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment