I'm learning to knit (thanks to an enthusiastic (and patient!) Finn and a lively knitting circle) and I'm also learning to appreciate good wine. The two have yet to go hand in hand, though I'm sure that would make for one fantastic evening. ;-)
In Mark's Gospel, however, we do find hand-made garments and wine side by side. Jesus says that "no one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment" because if she does, "the new piece will pull away from the old, making the tear worse." Likewise, he says that "no one pours new wine into old wineskins" because there too "the wine will burst the skins and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined."
Jesus pours new wine into new wineskins and knits new wool into new garments. I wonder, too, if Jesus is not only the pourer and the knitter, but also the new wine and the new cloth, sacrificially giving of himself for those who will don his garments and drink of his wine.
No comments:
Post a Comment