1 Corinthians 13. Probably one of the most quoted sections of the Bible. It is known affectionately as the "love chapter."
Today I read the love chapter and mused for a bit on verse 1 in particular: "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging symbol." I don't know why my brain does this, but sometimes when I try to picture an illustration or imagine a sound in my head I think of other, somewhat related sensory experiences. This morning I heard the sound of a clanging symbol and winced, because it felt like the same feeling you get if you were ever fortunate enough to have your brother dare you to chew on tinfoil (made ten times worse if you have metal fillings, by the way).
So chewing on tinfoil is what it feels like to others when I forget to love (even if––maybe especially if–– I have faith, knowledge, and generosity the size of mountains [see verses 2 and 3]). Ouch.
Maybe you've got a musical ear and you got the message of the love chapter years before me. But if you're like me, just a grown-up kid who was stupid enough to put a sheet of tin-metal between her teeth, then hopefully thinking of love in this way helped you a bit too.
No comments:
Post a Comment