Today we remember the martyrdom of Perpetua and her companions. Perpetua longed to be with her infant child while she was in prison awaiting execution. In a vision of her trial, Perpetua recounts a gripping scene where her father, holding out her son, begs her to denounce her faith. Perpetua, deeply grieved, says to her father, "I cannot do it; I am a Christian".
This desire to both "bear Christ" and be "with child" reminded me of Mary (this may or may not be my dissertation topic --- so lots of things remind me of Mary these days :D ).
So this morning I've written a poem about Mary, Perpetua, and what it means to "bear Christ". There's a touch of Bernard of Clairvaux and some language from the Parable of the Sower and the Seed too.
Perpetua's Plight
You said, "Come, hear my word and be sown in me"
And I, desiring to be good and fertile soil
received your seed and the kiss of your mouth.
I said, "Be born in me, my Lord"
And you, yearning to be knit within thy Holy Womb
received my body and blood as your host.
You said, "Mary?"
I said, "Lord."
I said "Spirit?"
You said, "Come."
Perpetua grieved, "Father!" and together we are one.
No comments:
Post a Comment